Friday 7 October 2011

Computer starts but won't boot windows.?

Hello, so I%26#039;ve had the same computer for almost two years now and yesterday I%26#039;ve encountered my first problem.



I was just playing a Computer game while talking to a couple of friends in Skype next thing I know is that everything starts freezing at first I thought it was just the computer game but it was the entire computer. Anyways the computer was frozen and had no idea what to do I decided to see if it would unjam itself so I left it alone for about an hour but when I came back nothing had changed.



So I force rebooted, at first everything was fine the blue HP logo appeared, but then instead of going to boot windows it tells my my Hard disk has failed, this is the exact message:



%26quot;ST3500620AS (my main hard drive) : Hard disk failure is imminent. Please back up your hard disk and have it replaced! Press %26lt;F10%26gt; for Setup, %26lt;F2%26gt; to Continue.%26quot;



The thing is I have two 500 Gig hard drives and they both have the same name in the BIOS screen.



So what I%26#039;m asking is what am I supposed to do? I have a 2nd hard drive in my computer can I just remove the bad one from my motherboard and then use the good one in its place? Or is it more complicated then that.



Also another thing is that Windows is installed in my main Hard Drive which has now died, how do I go about installing windows on the alternative Hard Drive?



Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated as a sub question, where would you recommend to take your computer to get repaired if I can%26#039;t fix this problem on my own. I live in Southern California I would rather not go to Geek Squad since they over price or to Fry%26#039;s Repair department since they%26#039;re always so chaotic and take forever to do simple tasks.

(Also my HP warranty has expired so I can%26#039;t use that anymore)



Thanks for reading and I hope you can help me out.|||You can normally find a program (i normally use certain tools in Hiren%26#039;s boot cd) that will let you do a chkdsk on the bad disk which should enable you to boot it up and make a backup of it. Once the backup is made take the bad hard drive out and install windows on the good drive. Now all you need to do is restore the backup to the good drive and you will be up and running again. The tool in the boot cd is call NTFS4DOS. Being that I am a computer tech and I see what companies do I recommend if you need to find a tech, find one that works on computers outside of a company...look on Craigslist. Most of the time the biggest idiots you find on Craigslist are still better than the so called professionals at Best Buy. I hope this works out for you.|||Seagate ST3500620AS

http://e-techsiliconvalley.com/store/ind鈥?/a>



Check for loose cables. See hp support about recovery disks. Run CHECKDISK from DOS

http://www.easydos.com/chkdsk.html
  • band myspace
  • good conversation with
  •