Friday 7 October 2011

Is changing Vista Security Permissions for multiple files possible (iTunes song editing related)?

Alright, so for months Ive been trying to figure out why I%26#039;ve been unable to edit the information on some of my mp3 and mp4 files in iTunes, and I%26#039;ve finally discovered that the reason why was because of Windows Vista%26#039;s infamous security settings.





To fix this editing issue:


1. Find the file (song) where you store your music and right click on the file.


2. Click the security tab at the top.


3. Click edit button under the first table (it should have a shield next to it)


4. When prompted by UAC click yes


5. Find your user name and highlight it toward the top (your username should either be the name you log into your computer with, or the name you gave your computer when you got it).


6. At the bottom, make sure you check allow for all of the boxes.


7. Click Apply, and Viola! Editing the information under the ID3 tag in iTunes AND under properties -%26gt; details in the actual file name should be allowed!





So, now I%26#039;m trying to figure out how to avoid going about this tedious process of right clicking the file and manually changing the security settings (for all of my 6000 songs.. I think not!).





I tried changing the security settings for the entire folder that my music is located in, but it says %26#039;access is denied%26#039; for all of my mp3 files.. I believe this is because when you manually edit the settings you have to give additional permission from the UAC that vista uses, but I%26#039;m wondering if there is a way to bypass this. Help!|||I was experiencing the same issue but I found somewhere online that if you change the permissions on the folder that contains all your music then you will change the permissions for all songs within that folder. So if your music is scattered about your PC, I%26#039;d consolidate it into the itunes music folder then change the permissions on that folder. Hope this helps!