Wednesday 21 September 2011

How can I change the account my computer logs into?

I received this computer from a friends a few years ago...a few weeks ago the computer started asking for the administrator password when i log in, since i dont have the administrator password i figured out i was locked out of the computer. Recently i tried to start the computer up again and it logged in fine without asking for the administrator password. Just in case i got locked out again i decided to make an account, i remember giving myself an administrative account instead of a limited account but now i cant download anything onto the computer, the computer says i only have a limited account. Every time i log onto the computer it logs into my account. Is there anyway to get it to start up and log into the administrator account like it was doing before i made my own account. Also i cant click on user name and passwords under control panel because again i have a limited account, i need the password for that too. I know thats alot to read but i would appreciate your help thanks
How can I change the account my computer logs into?
You need a tool that will reset the root (admin) account. I've used EBCD for years now but there's a slight learning curve to it.



http://www.ebcd.pcministry.com/



Once you burn the CD it will load a tiny version of Linux in your machines RAM. Then you'll select the NT password recovery. After that READ whats on the screen and choose the account you want to reset.



If my memory is correct you'll have to type in %26quot;administrator%26quot; or select %26quot;1%26quot; as the account and then press %26quot;*%26quot; (astriks) to reset the password and then quit. At the end it will ask you if you're SURE you want to write the changes. The default is %26quot;no%26quot; so you'll have to type in %26quot;Y%26quot; or %26quot;yes%26quot;.



After this you can log into windows with the ID of %26quot;administrator%26quot; and no password. From there you can change your other accounts rights and make it an admin as well.



If you need more help feel free to drop me an e-mail at Rick23509@yahoo.com



Good luck,

Rick